Saturday, July 13, 2024

My Twice-Weekly Drive/My Summer "Job"

On Monday and Friday evenings, there is a Western Cookout at Parade Rest Guest Ranch, near West Yellowstone, MT. This is my 18th season as the entertainer for this cookout. The original idea was for us to have a "cowboy singalong" which, as you might guess, didn't fly at all.



Instead, I have tailored my performance to provide examples of Western, as opposed to Country, music. Marty Robbins, Eddy Arnold and that sort of thing, along with original songs and cowboy poems, written by myself or my friends. It's been a great ride and I haven't missed a single cookout in 18years.  This video is my original song: "Listen to the Wind".

For the last couple of years, because my companion, Joann, was sick and needed to be home each night, I have driven from Townsend, MT to Parade Rest and back for each cookout. It's 140 miles one way and sometimes is kind of a long trip. Now that Joann is gone, I still usually make the round trip because I have things to take care of at home which she used to do in years passed.


On Monday, July 8, I was on my way home in the evening and saw this young fellow in one of the Beaver Creek ponds, by Highway 287. There were some Sandhill Cranes there as well but they wouldn't come out for a picture.

I stayed over last night and came back this morning. It was a grand and glorious morning! As you can see from these pictures, the air was perfectly still at the same pond that had hosted Bullwinkle on Monday evening.

Also part of my drive is the Madison River Valley, from Ennis to Hebgen Lake. The scenery, the wildlife and the overall atmosphere are what makes this drive and event worth doing for 18 years.












Reverbnation Page

No comments: