Friday, January 25, 2008

Lost one match but still trying

This has been a great learning experience. I played last night until 4 this morning and left only $20 lighter in my wallet than when I started. With the field of players to gamble with, that was very good! I'll get it back from somebody (maybe the same guy) today and he is planning to buy a CD anyway so I'll get it back that way if nothing else!

Shane Vanboening and Gabe Owen started a One-pocket game yesterday at about noon...for $8000 each! There is the definition of "Cash on the Light". When I left at 4AM, they were still playing and the cash was still on the light. Sometime late this morning (I was in my room, sleeping very well) SVB finally won.

An interesting aside. While I was playing last night (this morning) I caught myself checking to make sure I had enough quarters for my match today. Think about that. Two tables away from me, two of the top players in the world are gambling with $16,000 and I'm checking my pocket change. Different worlds.

While I'm on that "different worlds" theme, I want to examine that a little. Most who are reading this are musicians or entertainers of some kind. Although we often work on a handshake; mostly we live in a world of contracts and guarantees. Many of us have been stung by a talent buyer who doesn't deliver on the verbal promises so we get contracts and so on.

These pro pool players live in a world of maybes and hope. They're hustling in local bars on their way to the next tournament, hoping to make enough for gas money and a motel room. Usually they do fine but once in a while they run into a strong local player and they're in worse shape than when they started. Scrambling for gas money!

I was happy to win $20 or $30 in local bars on my way down here. These guys want to play for hundreds. One wanted to play me for $200 a game. I told him that was my life savings!

Anyway, I'm two matches away from winning a little money in the tournament. I'm doing better than they thought I would, I know. I lost a match today to Josh Johnson. Of course, I have nothing to lose. My car payment doesn't hinge on whether I place in this tournament or not. If I can peddle a few CDs I'll be ok.

Incidentally, the tables next to me were featuring matches with Shannon Daulton, Johnny Archer, Gabe Owen, Cliff Joyner and
Helena Thornfelt. For anyone with an interest in professional pool, this is a great place to be.

More later.

No comments: