I don't really want to keep banging on this same drum, but I think this exchange I had with Google Gemini this morning is relevant.
Larry:
I'm having an imaginary discussion with an evangelical type. I envision myself stopping him in mid sentence and then listing all his arguments against The Church for him since, most of them, we've been hearing for 200 years. The ones with whom I've had any contact are all the same. They aren't asking me questions in an effort to learn the truth. Their goal is to shake my own testimony and sow doubts in my head. No matter the debate points I make, the ones who address this are really never looking for truth or enlightenment so no amount of logic or scriptural evidence will change them.
Gemini:
It can be deeply frustrating to engage in a conversation where the underlying goal isn't a mutual exchange of ideas, but an attempt to dismantle your faith using a predictable playbook. When the primary motive is to destabilize your testimony, standard logic and scriptural proofs often fail because the dialogue is built on an underlying motive to convince, not to listen.
If you were to interrupt that momentum and list their standard talking points before they even bring them up, you effectively take the script out of their hands. Here are the core arguments and tactics that have circulated in evangelical anti-Mormon polemics for generations:
* **The Nature of God and the Trinity:** Asserting that Latter-day Saint theology departs from traditional Nicene Creed formulations (e.g., claiming God has a physical body, or arguing against the traditional concept of three persons in one substance).
* **Grace vs. Works:** Claiming that Latter-day Saints rely on "works-based salvation" and misunderstanding passages like 2 Nephi 25:23 ("after all we can do"), while ignoring the centrality of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and grace in Latter-day Saint theology.
* **The Nature and Authority of the Bible:** Arguing that the Bible is the sole, complete, and infallible word of God (*sola scriptura*), asserting that the canon of scripture was closed forever, and referencing warnings in Revelation against adding to "this book."
* **The Apostasy and Restoration:** Rejecting the claim of a Great Apostasy or the necessity of a restoration of priesthood authority and divine keys.
* **Origins of Sacred Texts:** Raising historical criticisms around the translation of the Book of Mormon, the Book of Abraham, or changes in textual printings over time.
* **Joseph Smith's Prophetic Call:** Focusing on historical controversies, character attacks, or early practices to undermine his prophetic claims.
* **Extra-Biblical Concepts:** Objecting to doctrines such as eternal progression, temple ordinances, or baptism for the dead as being unbiblical.
Calling out these points directly accomplishes two things: it demonstrates that you are thoroughly familiar with their playbook, and it highlights the reality that these points are not novel or unanswered. It resets the dynamic from a one-sided interrogation to a clear acknowledgment of why the conversation isn't moving toward actual understanding.
Would you like to draft a specific monologue or script that captures this moment for your scenario?
Larry:
I think so. With an emphasis on; "I know your arguments and I'm the wrong guy. Here is my testimony and a Book of Mormon to read. Thank you for your time."
Gemini:
"Look, I’m going to stop you right there, because I already know where this conversation is heading—and I'm the wrong guy for it.
I’ve heard the script. I know the arguments you’re getting ready to lay out:
* That my faith isn’t 'truly Christian' because we don't accept the post-biblical Nicene Creed.
* That we preach a salvation of works rather than grace through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
* That the canon of scripture is closed, and that God stopped speaking through modern prophets and revelation.
* That there was no Great Apostasy, no need for a Restoration, and that Joseph Smith’s prophetic calling can be dismantled by standard historical soundbites.
People have been running through those exact same talking points for nearly two hundred years. None of them are new to me, none of them are unanswered, and none of them are going to shake what I know to be true.
So instead of spending the next hour talking past each other, I’d rather just give you what I actually have to offer.
I know that God lives, that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer, and that His gospel has been restored to the earth in its fullness. I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God, and that it stands alongside the Bible as another testament of Christ.
Here is a copy of the Book of Mormon. I invite you to read it with an open heart and ask God yourself if it's true.
Thank you for your time, and I wish you the best."
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints


No comments:
Post a Comment