Monday, June 18, 2007

Virginia City, Montana


I love working VC during the summer. John Westbrook and I live in our campers out on the gulch where the miners of the early 1860s found the richest gold strike in history. Each morning, we dress in our period clothing and head into VC where we walk around, talking with people and getting our pictures taken until around lunchtime when the crowd begins to build at the Virginia City Cafe. Then, we start playing music at the Cafe for the rest of the day.

Once the VC Cafe closes, then I head either to the Bale of Hay Saloon or the Pioneer Bar and start looking for a pool game or two. Sometimes I make a few bucks doing that, sometimes I LOSE a few bucks doing that and often I'm just playing all night for free. Close the bar, head back out to the gulch for a few hours sleep and then start all over again.

At the Cafe, we play to about 200-300 people a day, about 20 or 30 at a time as they filter through, getting their meals and listening to us at the same time. We sell a lot of CDs and meet a lot of great folks.


This next weekend, John will be in Bannack at a little concert while I will be at the Lost Horse Ranch in Elgin, Oregon with Myra Pearce. Then, nest week, John and I will be back to our regular "job" in Virginia City.

No comments: