Tuesday, December 19, 2017

The "Family Recipe"

Ok, one of my favorite dishes can be adjusted to feed from two to about as many as you want with only a little adjustment to ingredient amounts.  I call it a Mexican Casserole.  My Mom called it an Enchilada Casserole.  My daughter just calls it "The family Recipe"

Pretty simple, really.

For one or two people:

1lb hamburger.
small onion
small bell pepper
1 can of enchilada sauce
1/2 cup salsa
tortilla chips
cheddar cheese

That's it.  Brown the hamburger along with a chopped onion and diced pepper.  Once the hamburger is browned, add the enchilada sauce and salsa, then stir it together and simmer it well.  Meanwhile, crunch up some of your tortilla chips in the bottom of a casserole dish or a 9x9 cake pan or a cast iron skillet or any other fairly deep oven ready baking dish.

Pour half of the hamburger mixture over the base of crushed tortilla chips.  Cover with cheese and more crushed tortilla chips.  Pour the rest of your hamburger mixture and cover with cheese.  Bake it until the cheese is melted all over the top. 

For variety, use different intensities of enchilada sauce and salsa.  Put some chili peppers in it. 

If you want to fancy up the service, put some refried beans and Spanish rice on the plate with it.

Figure 1/2 lb of burger per person and one 10oz can of enchilada sauce per pound of burger.  I've made two 9x13 cake pans of this to feed 11 but I've also had 8 cowboys eat up that much.  If I've got a big group, I'll definitely do the beans and rice as filler.





No comments: