Saturday, December 23, 2017

Sally Lunn



Here's an old recipe for you, called Sally Lunn.  It comes from old England and was often used by the ranch and chuckwagon cooks in this country.  When they needed a quick dessert or breakfast bread, this one was easy and quick to prepare and could easily be adjusted for more people.

There actually is some history from England and Colonial America with some argument as to who first did this and where.

Sally Lunn is a spongy cross between bread and cake.  I like it best fresh and hot with some whipped cream on it.  Basically, with whipped cream I see it as a dessert and without whipped cream it's a pleasant breakfast bread.

1 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
3 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Mix ingredients together and pour into a well greased cake pan.

Sprinkle the top liberally with cinnamon and brown sugar

Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until done.

The recipes I find online all use yeast instead of baking powder.  I found my recipe in an old book for cow camp cooks and this is the way I'm used to making it. 

This was a popular cake with the cow camp cooks because it was so easy and could be made up in a hurry if there was an unexpected occasion.

Anyway, this is one of the easier and quicker desserts I count on when I'm planning my menus.

No comments: