Saturday, January 02, 2021

Forty Years?!!




I was listening to old songs again today. Certainly, nothing recorded in the past 15 years or so appeals to me so I have hours of 60s-80s music on my computer. Country, Rock and a bunch of other stuff.

Anyway, a song from the movie "Midnight Express" came on. A song called "Chase"

I told Joann that I remember queuing up that song on my walkman as I would leave my apartment in Izmir, Turkey and started walking to the Security Police office for another shift. I'd turn it up and walk to the beat of the song. It's a fast beat and a long song so I'd be almost to work by the time the next song came on.

Funny how a song can bring back so much. The smells of the hot streets in Izmir; Garbage, spices, car exaust, people, animals...all blending together. The heat of that Turkish sun beating down. The people bustling by.

I was young and strong. In excellent condition, with a few years of Air Force life ahead of me and then, according to my plan, years as a policeman of some kind, some where. It was all ahead of me then. Choices, roads to take or not, women, friends, new places and new things.

Then, as I thought about it, it came over me like a wave. That was Forty Years Ago! Really? Forty Years!? But I can still see those cobbled streets! I can still smell the bread baking and the meat roasting in the street vendors carts. I can still see Gheen, McGinnis, Groff, Slade and all my other friends. It CAN'T be Forty F'ing years, can it?

Of course, when I heave myself off of the couch and limp the first few steps towards the kitchen, THEN it's easy to remember.

Funny how this song came up so soon after the one that prompted such memories. George Hamilton IV's "Dirty Old Man". Much more impact on people my age.



I cry a little sometimes, thinking about the years behind me. But there were some great times and I've done and seen a lot. The only regret is that it's all behind me now.

On the other hand, I'm still here, living on what I call "bonus time" since most men in my family don't get to see 60; yet...here I am.


No comments: